Happy and Healthy

Happy and Healthy
One of the happiest days of my life! I worked hard to look like that!

Friday, February 4, 2011

I Heart My Heart!

February is Heart Health Month!!! It is also Black History Month!

In celebration of both, I'd like to encourage you all to take some time and do some heart healthy activities. African-Americans are at a much greater risk to die from or be diagnosed with a cardiovascular disease. This is serious folks. If you are a "foodie" like me, and love all food, it is hard to limit the intake of sodium and salt. According to a new issued by the US Department of  Agriculture, African-Americans and people over 51 should limit their salt intake to no more than 1,500mgs of Sodium a day. So basically, look at your labels guys! 

To keep your heart in great shape, amp up your CARDIO! That's why they call it cardio guys, it promotes a healthy cardiovascular system.

I like to walk as you all know, but you can also run, jog, dance, move furniture, do laundry, garden, did I say dance? You have to make sure you get your heart rate up (according to your age and weight) in order to really get the blood pumping and push through those arteries.

When you are eating, make sure you are checking labels for sodium count and be careful of your hidden salt intake with seasoning. I love to season my food with all sorts of spices, but I have since moved to fresh herbs (that you can dry and ground). Use sea salt instead of regular salt. Try lemon juice as a flavoring! There are so many ways to get around just salt and really punch up a heart healthy meal. Be sure to get your Omega 3's and Omega 6's for the healthy fat you need as well.

I'm no expert but I know that heart disease has taken some wonderful people in my family. I walk for my Uncle Albert who was the most wildly creative man I ever met! I remember him on this journey so that I can be that crazy, funny, creative and loving for my daughter and nieces and nephews.

Let's remember that we come from a group of people who relish the natural, the organic, and wonderful (when talking about foods - have you ever had a Pineapple fresh from Ghana? mmmm)! We don't have to settle for the Standard American Diet! We can reach back into our heritage (that extends beyond greens with ham hock, mac and cheese with sugar and cheese) and cook for health and enjoyment.

Let's do it, and make Daniel Hale Williams proud! He after all was the first African-American to perform the first successful open heart surgery! 


Daniel Hale Williams

Happy Black History Heart Health Month!


Barbie!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love it love it love it. you know i want to specialize in cardiology. did u check out my blog post? http://chicagoherbshop.blogspot.com/2011/02/daniel-hale-williams-biography.html