Happy and Healthy

Happy and Healthy
One of the happiest days of my life! I worked hard to look like that!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Recipe for the day: Shrimp Pasta in Spinach Pesto Sauce

Who doesn't like a big ol' bowl of "Spasketti"? I know I do! Since I'm doing low carb and whole wheat and blah blah....I tried a really yummy recipe that I thought might be good to eat for the winter months (for those in the bitter cold ) when you want something to stick to your ribs.

I made whole wheat spaghetti with shrimp and pesto sauce.

It's pretty simple which is why I can post it from memory.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of extra extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp of fresh basil leaves or 1tsb of dried basil
1/4 cup of chopped garlic
1/2 cup of fresh spinach (optional)
1 tbsp of freshly grated Parmesan cheese (feel free to use dried Parmesan cheese out the container)
1 box of whole wheat spaghetti
2 cups of frozen pre-cooked peeled shrimp
1tbsp of butter

*optional* sun dried tomatoes

Directions:

Set Shrimp and butter aside
Boil spaghetti in a pot. (Add a tsp of oil if desired)
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender

Heat skillet on med high and saute' shrimp in butter for approx. 2min or until done.

Strain and rinse spaghetti. In a bowl toss shrimp, pesto, and spaghetti until a nice coating is achieved. Add sun dried tomatoes for texture and additional flavor.  Spinach option add a beautiful green color (and extra nutrients!)

Serve with side salad or alone.

Pair with Alsace Willm Pinot Gris 2007



Enjoy!

Barbie

No comments: