Happy and Healthy

Happy and Healthy
One of the happiest days of my life! I worked hard to look like that!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Diet Pills and Friday Challenge!


Hello Ladies and Gents (yes the brothas are checking in too!),


First, let me apologize for my two day break: much to do!


But what a day to comeback right? Friday!


Let's jump right into it shall we?


Here's my Friday run down:

30 Min of Crunch Ab Work out

10 Push ups (girl style)

50 crunches on stability ball


*Took the stairs up to the train platform and street instead of escalator


Ate: Grapefruit, raspberries, green tea, oatmeal with almond milk!


Listening: Stevie Wonder '3 Words'


Here's what I want to talk about:

Diet Pills


I know that I said I wouldn't talk about the 'newest diet pills' but I feel compelled to because I think we are getting scared into taking them. We want a quick fix, a 'jump start' and honestly they are not the best things for you.

To be fair, I took diet pills last fall. I dropped 15 pounds in 3 weeks. I barely ate, I felt like I was going to explode from the inside out, and I couldn't sleep. Honestly, I didn't even feel smaller. But the weight was dropping off. When I finally got off the pills, I gained about 10 pounds back.


There are several pills out there but the one that I know my friends are taking is called PHENTERMIN (a "safer" cousin to phen-phen) that's also what I took. It isn't horrible for you, but it's not the best way to lose weight. It's actually very dangerous when you are dealing with drugs. If YOUR doctor (not 'a doctor') doesn't recommend it. Don't take it. The drug uses immense amount of caffeine to block the hunger (you have to MAKE yourself eat) and boost your energy. To me, it felt like speed.


The next drug ( I'm hearing about) that is actually FDA approved is ALLI. My aunt is taking it and she really likes it. She lost 13 pounds in two weeks. Still not healthy. You should be losing about 2-4 pounds a week if you are working really hard and watching your diet. The way alli works is that it uses your digestive system to process the food faster (the fat) and you poop a lot. So you lose the weight. This is dangerous to your digestive system. It gets you off track and you are not regular. If you have to stop the pills, you will not be able to use the restroom the way you need to because your system has been trained.


The truth is folks, these are drugs. Drugs that are not needed for 'symptoms' or 'treatments' are not needed period. Vitamins should even be monitored. Why pay tons of money on 'supplements' (unless instructed by a physician) when you can ingest in your diet all that you need. If you want to get the waste out, eat fiber, drink water and work out that abdominal section. That gets the digestive tract to push the waste out and then you won't need the ALLI.


Trust me, it's hard. I know. But because I care and don't want to see you all go on a roller coaster of weight loss (see my beloved Lutha) I don't recommend diet pills. They are traps that make you waste money, and you never really learn how to LIVE healthy. You just get skinny (momentarily).




This is a list of articles from WebMD that will give you more info on the subject.



FRIDAY CHALLENGE!

Today I'm going to Indianapolis for the Great Lakes Regional Conference!

If you are there, hit me up and we can work out tomorrow morning before Necrology!
5:30 AM I'll be in the Sheraton Hotel with the Sigmas!! :)



If you are not a Zeta, or in GRL, FORCE yourself to wake up and work out at Sunrise.

There is something Awesome about the silence of the sleeping world. The peace of the dawn, and the serenity of being awake before everyone else. You can really focus on your breathing and movements. Try it! I promise you'll love it.


Best,

B
*******************************************************************************
UPDATE!
Office workout with the company's trainer....
Kicked MY BUTT!!!
It was awful, but I really loved it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree...I'm have to step it up a notch in terms of food myslef... I work out fine, but I'm really tryin to find a sensible way of life. I lost about 4 punds in the last 3 weeks so not too much difference here, but then I heard 1-2 pounds a week is the safe way and ensures a lifestyle change so you don't gain it back...that is what I have to remember... so make changes where you need to, but don't get too drastic. We have to remain steadfast on a way of life, not a quick fix. Gleenie Mae is teaching me that.
Love,
ShaLayla J!

Submit yourself to His will, trusting that if we could see our lives from His perspective, everything would make perfect sense.
-Charles Stanley